Innovative Imagery with PanPastels & Mixed Media with Dawn Emerson
Class size limited to 16 participants.
Dawn Emerson will be instructing via Zoom from her studio in Oregon.
Saturdays – April 1, 8, 15, 22, 2023
10:00 am – Noon (PST)
This class is open to artists ages 13 years – adult.
In this class Dawn will be using PanPastel as a tool, and believes it is the perfect instrument for mixed media artists who wish to layer more creatively, physically and spontaneously in their work.
This is a continuation of Dawn’s Introduction to PanPastel Workshop. In this 4-week session, Dawn will introduce you to adding PanPastel to an embossed drawing, adding PanPastels to the trace monotype and the monotype, as well as introducing other additive and subtractive methods of using PanPastel over water mixable oil. These approaches are fun and fast! Dawn’s goal is that you will discover crazy new tools to draw with along with innovative ways of expressing ideas.
For a successful class experience we ask that you have a strong internet connection and have access to a computer, tablet or smartphone (android or iOS) that is microphone and camera enabled.
Dawn Emerson is an award-winning pastel artist and instructor. She is the author of “Pastel Innovations” and several instructional videos. She brings an attitude of playfulness and experimentation to the pastel stage as she merges drawing, painting and the printmaking process to inspire story telling.
“We each have our own unique stories to tell and all visual artists communicate with the same vocabulary of shape, color, texture, edges, space and value (dark to light). It is my joy as your instructor to introduce you to a new medium that is both a painting and a drawing medium that can help you express those stories. As a pastelist and author (Pastel Innovations), I hope to inspire you to express your ideas in your own unique way, and guide you to new ways to reclaim your creativity.”
~ Dawn Emerson, PSA
(Available at Dick Blick)
- 3 primary colors (Permanent Red, Ultramarine Blue, Hansa Yellow)
- Titanium White
OR a set of 10 color wheel hues
- Applicator – angle slice Pan Pastel Applicator
- Linen Textured Card Stock – 12×12
- Travel set of soft stick pastels – including white & black
- A few pattern stencils or 1 sheet of stencil material to create your own
- Kneaded Eraser & Mars plastic eraser
- Water Mixable Oil Paint – 1 small tube of White & Black (1.25 oz)
Windsor Newton or Holbein recommended
- One soft rubber brayer – 3 or 4 inches
- Wax Paper – 1 roll
- One 11″ x 14″ cellophane sleeve for protecting artwork
- Roll of masking tape
- Any smooth/flat/no porous surface for rolling out water mixable oil paint with brayer
- Flat razor blade or Xacto knife and cutting mat/surface
- Baby Wipes or Paper Towels
- Hair comb, serrated plastic knife or fork or other scratch-making tools
- Steel wool
- 1 or more 10″ x 12″ colored Canson paper or non-shiny scrap book paper
- Untextured and clean backing board
- Dawn dish soap and small scrub brush for cleaning brayer
- Charcoal or black conte crayon
- Diane Townsend Dry Pigment Ground White ( Available from Dakota Pastels)
Additional resource materials and Zoom meeting link will be emailed prior to the start of the first class session.